Skip to main content
Try Wikispaces Classroom now.
Brand new from Wikispaces.
Pages and Files
Outreach and Service
Google Scholar Profile
• Wu, S.R., Li, X., Apul, D., Breeze, V., Fan, Y., Tang, Y., Chen, J. (in review) Agent-based Modeling to Address Temporal and Spatial Dynamics in Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment, Journal of Industrial Ecology
• Phillips, R., Devkota, J., Jeswani, H., Azapagic, A., Apul, D.S. (in review) Are Stormwater Pollution Impacts Significant in Life Cycle Assessment? A New Methodology for Quantifying Embedded Urban Stormwater Impacts, International Journal of LCA
• Devkota, J., Petit-Boix, A, Phillips, R., Vargas-Parra, M.V., Gabarrell, X., Rieradevall, J., Burian, S., Apul, D. (in review) Life Cycle Assessment of Rainwater Harvesting in Urban Neighborhoods: Implications of Infrastructure Configuration and Demand Patterns in the US and Spain, Journal of Hydrology
• Tavakol-Davani, H., Burian, S., Butler, D., Sample, D., Devkota, J., Apul, D.S., (in review) Watershed-scale Life Cycle Assessment of Rainwater Harvesting to Control Combined Sewer Overflows, Journal of Hydrology
• Tavakol-Davani, H., Goharian, E., Hansen, C., Tavakol-Davani, H., Apul, D., Burian, S. (in review) How does climate change affect combine sewer overflow in a system benefiting from rainwater harvesting systems? Sustainable Cities and Society
• Tavakol-Davani, H., Burian, S., Pomeroy, C.A., McPherson, B.J., Pascucci, V., Apul, D. (in review) Watershed-scale Life Cycle Assessment of Rainwater Harvesting: an Uncertainty Analysis, Water Research
• Devkota, J., Burian, S., Tavakol-Davani, H., Apul, D.S. (accepted with changes) Research needs to advance environmental and economic quantification of the benefits of rainwater harvesting. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology.
2016 (in press)
Celik, I., Song, Z., Cimaroli, A.J., Yan, Y., Heben, M., Apul, D.S. (in press) Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Perovskite PV Cells Projected from Lab to Fab. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells
Devkota, J., Davani, H., Burian, S., Apul, D.S. (in press) Introducing Demand to Supply Ratio as a New Metric for Understanding Life cycle Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions from Rainwater Harvesting Systems, Journal of Cleaner Production.
Tavakol-Davani, H., Burian , Devkota, J., Apul, D. S. (in press) Performance and Cost Based Comparison of Green and Gray Infrastructures to Control Combined Sewer Overflows, Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment.
23.Wu, S., Chen, J., Apul, D., Fana, P., Yan, Y., Fan, Y., Zhou, P. (2015) Causality in Social Life Cycle Impact Assessment (SLCIA), International Journal of LCA, 20(9), 1312-1323.
22. Bhandari, K., Collier, J. Ellingson, R., and Apul, D.S. (in press) Energy payback time (EPBT) and Energy Return on Energy Invested (EROI) of Solar Photovoltaic Systems, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
21. Devkota, J., Schlachter, H., and Apul, D.S., (2015) Life Cycle Based Evaluation of Harvested Rainwater Use in Toilets and for Irrigation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 95, 311-321.
20. Wu, R. and Apul, D.S. (2015) Framework for Integrating Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Impacts into Life Cycle Assessments of Buildings and Building Related Products, Journal of Green Building, 10(1), 127-149.
19. Collier, J., Wu, S., Apul, D.S. (2014) Life Cycle Assessment of CZTS and Zn3P2 Photovoltaic Thin Film technologies, Energy, 74, 314-321
18. Anand, C. and Apul, D.S. (2014) Composting toilets as a sustainable alternative to conventional sanitation system in urban areas: Critical Review, Waste Management, 34(2), 329-343.
17. Devkota, J., Schalachter, H., Anand, C., Phillips, R., Apul, D.S, (2013) Development and application of EEAST: A life cycle based model for use of harvested rainwater and composting toilets in buildings, Journal of Environmental Management, 130, 397-404.
16. Ladner, D.A., Bolyard, S.C., Apul, D., Whelton, A. (2013) Navigating the Academic Job Search for Environmental Engineers: Guidance for Job Seekers and Mentors, Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 139, 211-217.
15. Apul, D.S. and Philpott, S.M. (2011) Use of Outdoor Living Spaces and Fink’s Taxonomy of Significant Learning in Sustainability Engineering Education, Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 137(2), 69-78.
14. Anand, C. and Apul, D.S. (2011) Cost, Energy, and CO2 Emissions Analysis of Standard, High Efficiency, Rainwater Flushed, and Composting Toilets, Journal of Environmental Management, 92, 419-428
13. Chowdhury, R. Apul, D.S., and Fry, T. (2010) A Life cycle based environmental impacts assessment of construction materials used in road construction, Resources Conservation and Recycling, 54(4), 250-255.
12. Apul, D.S., Miller, E., and Jain, V. (2010) Road runoff metal concentrations in Toledo, Ohio and their relation to average daily traffic and age of pavement overlay, Water Science and Technology, 61(7), 1723-1731.
11. Apul, D.S., Diaz, M., Gustafsson, J.P., and Hundal, L. (2010) Geochemical Modeling of Trace Elements Release from Biosolids, Environmental Engineering Science, 27(9), 743-755.
10. Apul, D.S. (2010) Ecological Design Principles and Their Implications on Water Infrastructure Engineering, Journal of Green Building, 5(3), 147-164.
9. Apul, D.S., Gardner, K.H., and Eighmy, T.T. (2007) Modeling hydrology and reactive transport in roads: The effect of cracks, the edge, and contaminant properties, Waste Management, 27, 1465-1475.
8. Apul D., Tufenkji, N. (2007) Student Expectations from an Environmental Professional Society, Environmental Engineering Science, 24, 1326-1342.
7. Diaz, M., Gustafsson, J.P., Hundal, L.S., Apul, D.S. (2007): Sensitivity analysis for a multisurface geochemical modelling approach. Goldschmidt 2007. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 71(15), A223.
6. Apul, D.S., Gardner, K., Eighmy, Fallman A-M., and Comans, R.N.J. (2005) Simultaneous application of dissolution/precipitation and surface complexation / precipitation modeling to contaminant leaching from weathered steel slag, Environmental Science and Technology, 39(15); 5736-5741.
5. Apul, D.S., Gardner, K., Eighmy, T., Linder, E., Frizzell, T., and Roberson, R. (2005) Probabilistic modeling of one dimensional water movement and leaching from highway embankments containing secondary materials, Environmental Engineering Science, 22(2), 249-262.
4. Urban, N. R., Auer, M.T., Green, S.A., Lu, X., Apul, D.S., Powell, K.D., and Bub, L. (2005) Carbon cycling in Lake Superior, Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, C06S90.
3. Urban, N.R., Lu, X., Chai, Y., and Apul, D. (2004) Sediment trap studies in Lake Superior: Insights into resuspension, cross-margin transport and Carbon Cycling, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 30 (Supplement 1), 147-161.
2. Urban, N.R., Apul, D.S., and Auer, M.T. (2004) Community Respiration Rates in Lake Superior, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 30(Supplement 1):230-244.
1. Apul, D.S., Gardner, K., and Eighmy, T. (2003) A probabilistic source assessment framework for leaching from recycled materials in highway applications, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 5(2), 120-127.
Book on Carbon Footprint Analysis
11. Apul, D.S., Devkota, J.P. (in press) Teaching Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to Graduate Students at University of Toledo, Sustainability Practice and Education on University Campuses and Beyond, Kumar A. and Kim D.K., Bentham Science
10. Fan, Y., Wu, R., Chen, J., Apul, D.S. (2015) A Review of Social Life Cycle Assessment Methodologies, Social Life Cycle Assessment: An Insight, Subranamian, S.M. Eds., Spring, pp. 1-23.
9. Chowdhury, R., Apul, D.S., and Dwyer, D. (2009) Preliminary studies for designing a wetland for arsenic treatment, in Groundwater Modeling, Management, and Contamination, Luka F.K. and Jonas L.W. Eds., Nova Publishers, pp. 151-166.
8. Diaz, M. and Apul, D.S. (2007) Modeling of contaminant leaching, in Thermodynamics, Solubility and Environmental Issues, Trevor Letcher, Ed., Elsevier, Cambridge, pp. 33-46.
7. T. Bridges, Kiker, G., Cura, J., Apul, D., and Linkov, I. (2005) Towards using comparative risk assessment to manage contaminated sediments, in Strategic Management of Marine Ecosystems, Levner, E., Linkov, I, and Proth, J.M., Eds., Springer, Amsterdam.
6. Apul, D.S., Gardner, K.H. and Eighmy, T.T. (2005) Implications of roadway water movement for beneficial use of recycled materials, in The Handbook of Environmental Chemistry, Water Pollution Series (Volume 5): Environmental Impact Assessment of Recycled Hazardous Waste Materials on Surface and Ground Waters: Chemodynamics, Toxicology, Modeling and Information System, T. A.T. Aboul-Kassim and K.J. Williamson, Eds., Springer-Verlag.
5. Apul, D.S., Gardner, K.H., Eighmy, T.T., Brannaka, L., and Benoit, J. (2003) A review of water movement in the highway environment: Implications for the recycled materials use in Beneficial Use of Recycled Materials in Transportation Applications, T.T.Eighmy Ed., Air and Waste Management Association Press, pp. 195-204.
4. Apul, D.S., Gardner K.H., and Eighmy, T.T. (2003) Comparison of risks from traditional and recycled road construction materials: accounting for variability in contaminant release estimates, in Comparative Risk Assessment and Environmental Decision Making, I. Linkov, A. Ramadan Eds., pp. 75-82, Kluwer, Amsterdam.
3. Andrews, C.J., Apul, D.S., and Linkov, I. (2003) Comparative risk assessment: past experience, current trends and future directions, in Comparative Risk Assessment and Environmental Decision Making, I. Linkov, A. Ramadan Eds., pp. 3-14, Kluwer.
2. Shatkin, J.A., Andreas, I., Apul, D.S., Attia, A., Brambilla, M, Carini, F., Elshayeb, Y., Girgin, S., Ignatavitus, G., Mandarasz, T., Small, M., Smirnova, O., Sorvari, J., and Tal, A. (2003) A Proposed Framework for Multinational Comparative Risk Analysis: Pesticide Use, Impacts and Management. Report of the Comparative Risk Assessment Methods Workgroup, in Comparative Risk Assessment and Environmental Decision Making, I. Linkov, A. Ramadan Eds., pp. 149-170, Kluwer, Amsterdam.
1. Gardner, K. and Apul, D.S. (2002) Influence of colloids and sediments on water quality, in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS) Aleksander Sabljic Ed., developed under the auspices of the UNESCO, EOLSS Publishers, Oxford, UK.
Our short outreach articles published in the newsletters of NWO Chapter of USGBC
Article in 2011 spring newsletter.docx
Article in Fall 2011 newsletter.pdf
Article in 2011 winter newsletter.pdf
Article in 2012 summer newsletter.pdf
Article in 2012 fall newsletter.pdf
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"